BUG #15591: pg_receivewal does not honor replication slots - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From PG Bug reporting form
Subject BUG #15591: pg_receivewal does not honor replication slots
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      15591
Logged by:          Jeff Janes
Email address:      jeff.janes@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 11.1
Operating system:   all

When you invoke pg_receivewal using --slot to give it the name of an
existing slot which has WAL reserved, and -D pointing to an empty directory,
it fast-forwards the slot's LSN reservation to the beginning of the most
recent WAL file on the server, and starts streaming from there.  Rather than
streaming from the LSN reservation point.

Does this not utterly destroy the main point of using slots?  If I didn't
want to ensure a gapless WAL stream, why use slots in the first place?

I've tested in v11, but I think it is across all versions.