Re: Open 7.3 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Open 7.3 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Neil Conway <nconway@klamath.dyndns.org> writes:
> Keep in mind that the current
> FE/BE protocol limits database and user names to 64 characters.

That seems to be a good reason to combine the two on the postmaster
side, a la Bruce's proposed patch.  If the client side does it then
the "user@database" has to all fit in 64 characters.

> That's another thing I'd like to fix in 7.4.

Yup.  Do we have a list going of the things we want to fix in the next
protocol change?  Offhand I remember

* redesign startup packet to eliminate fixed field widths
* fix COPY protocol to allow resync after errors, support binary data
* less brain-dead protocol for fast-path function calls
* allow NOTIFY to include parameters
* richer ERROR reports (error codes, other stuff)

and I'm sure there's more.  None of this stuff seems to be in the TODO
list though.