Re: Open 7.3 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Open 7.3 items
Date
Re: Open 7.3 items  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Rod Taylor <rbt@zort.ca> writes:

> >         - The functionality that Marc is worried about (in effect,
> >           allowing multiple database users with the same name) is
> >           pretty obscure, and the implementation is even more so. I
> >           doubt whether there is *anyone* other than Marc actually
> >           using it (if that's not the case, please speak up).
>
> I would use database specific users for a similar area -- shared
> hosting.

I agree that the functionality Marc is looking for is useful -- I'm
just saying that I would bet that *no one* is using the current
implementation of it in PostgreSQL (i.e. so I don't see the need to
keep backward compatibility, or the harm in removing the feature for
the next release until a better solution is designed & implemented).

> But, could live with a longer (128 byte) namedatalen to allow
> a unique user%domain.

That seems like a serviceable solution to me -- it seems quite easy to
implement this functionality outside the database proper (at least
until a proper solution is devised). Keep in mind that the current
FE/BE protocol limits database and user names to 64 characters.
That's another thing I'd like to fix in 7.4.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>