Re: Open 7.3 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: Open 7.3 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > But, could live with a longer (128 byte) namedatalen to allow
> > a unique user%domain.
>
> That seems like a serviceable solution to me -- it seems quite easy to
> implement this functionality outside the database proper (at least
> until a proper solution is devised). Keep in mind that the current
> FE/BE protocol limits database and user names to 64 characters.
> That's another thing I'd like to fix in 7.4.

Aw shoot.  64 characters isn't enough to hold a good chunk of our
clients domain names let alone usernames in front.   I'm not looking
forward to trimming domains either.

I hope 7.4 that a protocol change for 7.4 is warranted.  Looks like
there are a fair number of things in that area.