Uh-oh: documentation PDF output no longer builds in HEAD - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Uh-oh: documentation PDF output no longer builds in HEAD
Date
List pgsql-hackers
$ cd doc/src/sgml
$ make postgres-US.pdf
... lots of crap later ...

[3253.0.51
! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [number of strings=245828].
<to be read again>                   \endgroup \set@typeset@protect
l.1879198 {1}}             \Node%
!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
Transcript written on postgres-US.log.
make: *** [postgres-US.pdf] Error 1
rm postgres-US.tex-pdf

The A4-format PDF still builds, which implies that this has something to
do with the number of pages produced.  The 9.5 branch also still builds,
but it seems highly likely that it is within a few pages of failing as
well.  (HEAD is only about a dozen pages longer than 9.5 in A4 format,
and presumably the difference is around that for US format.)

We ran into a very similar issue back around 9.0, and solved it with an
ugly style-sheet hack, see thread here:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/1270189232.5018.7.camel@hp-laptop2.gunduz.org

As noted then, and as I reconfirmed just now, you can *not* fix this by
hacking TeX's parameters: there is a hard-wired limit of 2^18 strings
regardless of what you try to set in texmf.cnf.

Thoughts?