Re: Uh-oh: documentation PDF output no longer builds in HEAD - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From andres@anarazel.de (Andres Freund)
Subject Re: Uh-oh: documentation PDF output no longer builds in HEAD
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2015-11-08 13:34:18 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> $ cd doc/src/sgml
> $ make postgres-US.pdf
> ... lots of crap later ...
> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [number of strings=245828].

> We ran into a very similar issue back around 9.0, and solved it with an
> ugly style-sheet hack, see thread here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/1270189232.5018.7.camel@hp-laptop2.gunduz.org
>
> As noted then, and as I reconfirmed just now, you can *not* fix this by
> hacking TeX's parameters: there is a hard-wired limit of 2^18 strings
> regardless of what you try to set in texmf.cnf.

While taking pretty short of forever, postgres-US.pdf seems to build on
my debian unstable as of 8d7396e509 + some additional docs. Is this
dependant of what version of text you're using (plain tex, pdftex,
xetex, whatnot)?

postgres-US.log contains:
360764 strings out of 481710
2617927 string characters out of 6028023
857532 words of memory out of 5085000
252961 multiletter control sequences out of 15000+600000
101035 words of font info for 156 fonts, out of 8000000 for 9000
36 hyphenation exceptions out of 8191

So at least debian's version of tex seems to have to worked around the
limit somehow. I found only one interesting looking setting in the
relevant config files:

%%
%% jacking up TeX settings for the unique uses of jadetex
%%
extra_mem_bot.jadetex = 85000
extra_mem_bot.pdfjadetex = 85000

Andres