Re: Creating a new server - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Richard Broersma Jr
Subject Re: Creating a new server
Date
List pgsql-novice

> >pg_dump [database name] > sync-trial.db
>
> Connected to template1...
>
> Psql: FATAL 1:  user "jcarlson" does not exist

pg_dump will only dump a particular database.  if you want users et. al. you will need to use
pg_dumpall.  This is the way to move a database from an old version of 7.2 to 8.1.5, 8.2.

> I do not know if pg_dump is the best way to do this, but I have included
> it in the question to indicate what I attempted. If pg_dump is the
> correct path to follow, how do I address the error?

If you are really concerned about having a "hot stand-by" fail over machine you can home-brew a
solution using Point In Time Recovery, or you can use a robust solution like slony.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/backup.html
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/slony1/projdisplay.php
http://www.commandprompt.com/products/mammothreplicator

Regards,