Re: Creating a new server - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Carlson, James \(Jim\)
Subject Re: Creating a new server
Date
List pgsql-novice
Okay, I tried
>pg_dumpall > sync-up.db
Connected to template1...
Psql: FATAL 1:  user "jcarlson" does not exist

I tried to use the -U option without success. How do I add a user ore
determine a user that will work for pg_dumpall

Thanks,
Jim Carlson

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Broersma Jr [mailto:rabroersma@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2006 4:43 PM
To: Carlson, James (Jim); pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] Creating a new server

> >pg_dump [database name] > sync-trial.db
>
> Connected to template1...
>
> Psql: FATAL 1:  user "jcarlson" does not exist

pg_dump will only dump a particular database.  if you want users et. al.
you will need to use
pg_dumpall.  This is the way to move a database from an old version of
7.2 to 8.1.5, 8.2.

> I do not know if pg_dump is the best way to do this, but I have
included
> it in the question to indicate what I attempted. If pg_dump is the
> correct path to follow, how do I address the error?

If you are really concerned about having a "hot stand-by" fail over
machine you can home-brew a
solution using Point In Time Recovery, or you can use a robust solution
like slony.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/backup.html
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/slony1/projdisplay.php
http://www.commandprompt.com/products/mammothreplicator