Re: [NOVICE] Creating a new server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Broersma Jr
Subject Re: [NOVICE] Creating a new server
Date
List pgsql-general
> Okay, I tried
> >pg_dumpall > sync-up.db
> Connected to template1...
> Psql: FATAL 1:  user "jcarlson" does not exist
>

> I tried to use the -U option without success. How do I add a user ore
> determine a user that will work for pg_dumpall

I see, you are actually having a problem with pg_dumpall terminating unsuccessfully.  You might
want to forward this concern over to the pg_general mailing list.

pgsql-general@postgresql.org

There are more users on that list that will able to help you get around this problem.  I am
guessing that you may a record somewhere that may have been corrupted.  It can be easy to correct
with some help from more advanced Postgresql users.

The help these users, turn on statement logging in your postgresql.conf and restart your server.
email the list showing the issued command, error messages that result, and any logs snippets that
were generated up to the failure.

But just be prepared to for the first recommendation to move to postgresql 8.1 or eventually 8.2.
From what I understand versions 7.2 maybe 7.3 have known bugs that can/will eat your data.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.