Re: Speed of postgres compared to ms sql, is this - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Speed of postgres compared to ms sql, is this
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 15:36, novnov wrote:
> OK, thanks everyone, I gather from the responses that postgres performance
> won't be an issue for me then. If MS SQL Server and Postgres are in the same
> ballpark performance-wise, which seems to be the upshot of your comments, no
> problem. I'd only have worried if there was something like the major
> difference between the two with more complicated queries. I am puzzled by
> the commentor's post to the article, it could be FUD of course but didn't
> particularly sound like the commentor was anti pgsql.

I will say this. Most other databases are more forgiving of bad
queries.  Make a bad query and postgresql is more likely to punish you
for it.  But I've seen production oracle servers make pretty bad query
plans too because someone used a non-selective sub-select that the
planner couldn't work around.

I love postgresql, and I think the query planner has made leaps and
bounds since I started working with it.  But it is not designed to run
bad sql quickly.