Re: Planning to change autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor value tozero. Please suggest me if any negative impact. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: Planning to change autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor value tozero. Please suggest me if any negative impact.
Date
In response to Planning to change autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor value to zero.Please suggest me if any negative impact.  (Raghavendra Rao J S V <raghavendrajsv@gmail.com>)
Responses Re: Planning to change autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor value to zero.Please suggest me if any negative impact.  (Raghavendra Rao J S V <raghavendrajsv@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Raghavendra Rao J S V wrote:
> We are using postgres 9.2  version on Centos operating system.  We have around 1300+ tables.
> We have following auto vacuum settings are enables. Still few of the tables which are always busy are not vacuumed.
Dueto that tables are bloating and observed few areas has performance degradation.

> autovacuum_max_workers = 6
> autovacuum_naptime = 15s
> autovacuum_vacuum_threshold = 25
> autovacuum_analyze_threshold = 10
> autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor = 0.1
> autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor = 0.05
> autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay = 10ms
> autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit = 1000
>
> To avoid the above problem, I am planning to make ' autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor' value to zero and
autovacuum_vacuum_threshold value to 150. Please suggest me does it have any negative impact.

That's an excellent way to keep your database from functioning well.

Rather, raise autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit, or, more aggressively,
set autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay to 0.

It is better to change the settings on individual busy tables than
changing them globally.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe