Re: Asynchronous Trigger? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adam Tauno Williams
Subject Re: Asynchronous Trigger?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2018-03-29 at 22:29 +0000, Cory Tucker wrote:
> Is it possible to have the execution of a trigger (or any function)
> not block the completion of the statement they are associated with?
> A pattern I had hoped to implement was to do a quick update of rows
> that signaled they needed attention, and then an async per-row
> trigger would come and do the maintenance (in this case, make an
> expensive materialized view).

This is a good use of a Notification.  A trigger can queue a
notification, which can be received by a listening process - which can
then determine and do whatever is necessary.

See the "LISTEN" documentation.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam@whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383
OpenGroupware Developer <http://www.opengroupware.us/>