Re: Must re-connect to see tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From rob stone
Subject Re: Must re-connect to see tables
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello Blake,

On Tue, 2018-03-27 at 06:23 -0500, Blake McBride wrote:
> I should also mention that I am using PostgreSQL 9.3.22 on a 64 bit
> Linux box.
>
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 6:22 AM, Blake McBride <blake@mcbride.name>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been using PostgreSQL for many years but all of a sudden a
> > db load script I've been using no longer works.  What id does
> > (essentially) is:
> >
> > psql postgres postgres
> > drop database test;
> > create database test;
> > \c test
> > \i data.sql
> > \dt
> > \q
> >

> > I tested this with a small data.sql and it worked fine.  However,
> > when I use a real (much larger) data.sql then \dt replies "No
> > relations"  !  I found this if I stick an extra '\c test' after the
> > '\i data.sql' it works.
> >
> > The data.sql is a PostgreSQL dump from another database.  When the
> > '\i data.sql' is done, the prompt still shows 'test#' so it's not
> > like I've changed databases.
> >
> > I only have one schema, 'public'.
> >
> > Can't figure out why a simple example works but a large file
> > requires an extra \c.
> >
> > Sure appreciate any help.
> >
> > Blake McBride

1) Where does your e-mail subject line "Must re-connect to see tables"
relate to the import?

2) Does the larger data.sql file have a "create database" line or any
other construct at the beginning of the file that would cause it to NOT
insert rows into database test?

Cheers,
Rob