Re: FUNC_MAX_ARGS benchmarks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: FUNC_MAX_ARGS benchmarks
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> In fact, I now see that there was no such problem.  I do wonder why the
> 32 is there, though? Shouldn't it be 6 or something like that?

Whoever it was was too lazy to count accurately ;-)

I guess I'd vote for changing the code to be
sys = malloc(strlen(editorName) + strlen(fname) + 10 + 1);if (!sys)    return false;sprintf(sys, "exec '%s' '%s'",
editorName,fname);

(note the added quotes to provide a little protection against spaces
and such).  Then it's perfectly obvious what the calculation is doing.
I don't care about wasting 20-some bytes, but confusing readers of the
code is worth avoiding.