Re: Open 7.3 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Sean Chittenden
Subject Re: Open 7.3 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Some mentioned using user@dbname, though the idea of sorting made
> several recant their votes.
>
> So, based on the voting, I think dbname.username is an agreed-upon
> feature addition for 7.3.  I will work on a final patch with
> documentation and post it to the patches list for more comment.

The nice thing about using an @ sign, amongst being more consistent
with kerberos and email, is that it doesn't preclude the use of .'s in
a database name.  For simplicity's sake, I'd really like to be able to
continue issuing database names that are identical to the domain that
they serve and worry that relying on a "." will either make the use of
a dot in the username or database impossible.  An @ sign, on the other
hand, is the ubiquitously agreed upon username/host separator and
makes it all that much more consistent for users and administrators.

Username: john.doe
Database: foo.com
possible pg_shadow entry #1: john.doe.foo.com
possible pg_shadow entry #2: john.doe@foo.com

If people are worried about the sorting, ORDER BY domain, username.
My $0.02.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden