Re: Multiline plpython procedure - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Multiline plpython procedure
Date
Re: Multiline plpython procedure
Re: Multiline plpython procedure
List pgsql-general
Hong Yuan <hongyuan@homemaster.cn> writes:
> Following your direction, I did a byte-by-byte comparasion of the dump
> files of the two different version. The sole difference is that in the
> working version, the line break is represented the unix way as one 0x0a,
> while in the non-working version the line break is the Windows/Dos
> version of 0x0d, 0x0a.

Now that you say that, I seem to recall that this has been reported
before.  It seems odd that in today's climate the Python interpreter
would not cope well with Windows-style newlines.  Maybe there is some
configuration issue with Python itself?

> I am no longer sure whether this is a problem of Postgres or of pgAdmin.

Postgres is just passing the bytes from point A to point B.  You could
maybe argue that it's a bad idea for pgAdmin to be using a
Windows-centric notion of newline, but I doubt you'll be able to sell
those guys on it.  Really this seems like a robustness issue for Python.

            regards, tom lane