Re: Supporting plpython 2+3 builds better - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Supporting plpython 2+3 builds better
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Sat, 2012-09-08 at 19:18 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> To give you an idea of what "unreasonably painful" means, attached is
>> the specfile diff needed to make this happen.  I will not comment on
>> the fragility of this beyond observing that the "touch -r" commands
>> are *necessary*, else you get incorrect results.

> I think an easier way is to configure two vpath builds and install the
> pieces you want from each one.

I thought about that, and didn't like it, because then you have no proof
that the plpython3 you built in the one tree will actually play with the
core code you built in the other tree.  Messy as my solution is, the
regression test step does actually test the intended live combination of
executables.

>> Another problem is that Makefile.shlib isn't designed to build more
>> than one shared library per directory,

> That's the main problem, but fixing it would be very useful in other
> places as well.  I had it on my radar to do something about that.

This would be a good thing.  Got any ideas how to do it?