Re: build farm machine using mixed results - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: build farm machine using mixed results
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Sat, 2012-09-08 at 19:54 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Anyway, what I notice is that I get different types of failures, but
>> they are all under ecpg/.  What I think we need to do is insert
>> .NOTPARALLEL in ecpg/Makefile,

> I'd hate that, because the ecpg build is one of the slowest parts of the
> build, so de-parallelizing it would slow down everything quite a bit.

There's only one bit of it that's slow, which is the bison build +
preproc.c compile, which is necessarily serial anyway.  So I think
trying to avoid .NOTPARALLEL there is a complete waste of effort.
But if you wanna fix it some other way, step right up.

(This all does remind me of the "Recursive Make Considered Harmful"
thread from awhile back.  Is anyone prepared to go down that path
now?  I'm not terribly excited by that, as yet --- yeah, it would
be better, but the work involved seems out of proportion to the
benefit.)