Re: Serials. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Dan Lyke
Subject Re: Serials.
Date
List pgsql-sql
Grant writes:
> I have a message board. Where users can send each other messages. I
> doubt I will ever get 2147483647 messages, but I want to make sure I
> never get an error where the message isn't sent.

Think about loads. If your users are going to be posting 10
messages/second, that's 864000 messages per day, you won't wrap for
nearly 7 years. I've got a pretty heavy mail load, including spam I
probably get 300 messages/day, weekends are lighter, so if you've got
a bunch of weenies who are subscribed to a gazillion mailing lists
you're talking three thousand users for six and a half years.

A little light if you're planning on being the next Hotmail (A test
account set up there gets 70 spams/day without my ever publishing the
address), but for your average mid-range discussion forum you're
probably good for a while. I doubt that, say, Salon's TableTalk forum
gets even 10k new messages per day.

> I guess the best option is to create a function that changes all the
> ids to the lowest values possible and then set the sequence to the
> maximum value + 1.

Better idea, if one of your deletion criteria is going to be age,
would just be to wrap the IDs.

Dan