Re: Unable to dump database using pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Unable to dump database using pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-general
Adam Dear <adear@usnx.net> writes:
> I'm not seeing the madisoncounty user in there.

Odder and odder.  It might be worth trying "vacuum freeze pg_shadow".

> Also, I tried starting
> the db using /etc/init.d/postgres start, and it fails.

Fails how?  In particular, what shows up in the postmaster log?

> Is that the
> proper way to get the service going, or should I be doing something else?

The usual way to manually start/stop daemons on Linux is

    sudo /sbin/service postgresql start
    sudo /sbin/service postgresql stop

(omitting sudo if you're already root).  I'm not sure offhand if there's
any real difference between that and just calling the init.d script
directly, but I believe that's how you're Supposed To Do It.

            regards, tom lane