Re: Is there an easy way to normalize-space with given string functions - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Is there an easy way to normalize-space with given string functions
Date
List pgsql-sql
Janning Vygen <vygen@gmx.de> writes:
> i searched the function list and tried to combine to or more
> functions, but i miss a replace function which uses regular
> expressions.

There isn't one in the SQL standard.  Most people who need one write a
one-liner function in plperl or pltcl.

(Mind you, I don't know why we don't offer a built-in one --- the needed
regex engine is in there anyway.  I guess no one has gotten around to
getting agreement on a syntax.)
        regards, tom lane