Re: misc questions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: misc questions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jeff MacDonald <jeff@pgsql.com> writes:
> 1: Has anyone found a way to fake INNER JOINS, basically I'm helping someone
> convert some MSSQL code over to Postgres and they use INNER JOINS heavly

You shouldn't have to fake it --- Thomas alleges that INNER JOIN syntax
works now.

> 2: Have any of y'all ever seeen this error

> ""transformExpr: does not know how to transform node 501 (internal error)"

> from statement:

> "SELECT DISTINCT ss.stateID, ss.stateValue FROM State ss INNER JOIN Standard
> st ON ss.stateID = st.stateID"

Congratulations, our first 7.0 bug report!  It fails for me too.  501 is
type T_List, so it looks like some list-slinging is going wrong.

> 3: what is the maximum depth of nested sub queries ?

No hard and fast limit, but they might be pretty slow if you nest them
real deep ... sub-selects aren't implemented especially efficiently ...

> 4: just out of the blue, how great or not great is our alpha support ?

Er ... what?