Re: DB Performance Tuning - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From romje@javaxpert.com
Subject Re: DB Performance Tuning
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Tue, September 5, 2006 5:08 pm, nilesh khode wrote:
>   Hello,
>
>  I am working on database performace tuning on Postgresql 8.1 database
> build on Suse 10 Linux dedicated server. I am having 32 GB of RAM and 8
> CPUs.

nice machine :)

> I have made minimum recommended settings under postgresql.conf (i.e
> shared_buffer, work_mem, and effective cache_size also kernel.shmmax)
>
>   I have run SQL queries using pg-admin, the query execution + retrieval
> time is 80% reduced over existing server.
>   But same I tested with JDBC, the query requires more time as compared
> with existing server.

what 's the driver used ? do you use statement or preparedstatement ?
the time given is made after 1 query or the same query repeated x times
then dividing the whole time by x ?
have you tried to use jdbc proxy (p6spy for instance) to watch the query ?
to know where the time is spent (don't use it in production !!!)
>   Please help me out in this performance tuning.

HTH
Jerome

--
Auteur cahiers du programmeur J2EE - Eyrolles 2003