Re: Large index operation crashes postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Large index operation crashes postgres
Date
Re: Large index operation crashes postgres  (Frans Hals <fhals7@googlemail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Frans Hals <fhals7@googlemail.com> writes:
> Operation is now running for around 13 hrs.
> Two postmaster processes above 1% memory usage are running.

> One of them uses constantly 26.5% of memory.
> The other one is growing:
> After 1 hr        25%
> After 9 hrs      59%
> After 13 hrs    64%

Well, it's pretty clear that you've found a memory leak, but that was
what we thought before; this data doesn't move us any closer to a fix.
In particular it's not possible to guess whether the leak should be
blamed on Postgres or Postgis code.  Even if we knew that, I'm not
sure we could fix the leak without tracing through actual execution.

Can you generate a self-contained test case that exhibits similar bloat?
I would think it's probably not very dependent on the specific data in
the column, so a simple script that constructs a lot of random data
similar to yours might be enough, if you would rather not show us your
real data.

            regards, tom lane