Re: Timestamp with time zone issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Timestamp with time zone issue
Date
List pgsql-general
"Jim Ballard" <jballard@netezza.com> writes:
> PostgreSQL's "timestamp with time zone" implementation seems to fall short =
> of the standard in the following way.

There is considerable prior discussion of this in the mail list
archives, which you should consult.  But the bottom line is: Postgres'
timestamp datatype is not, and is not intended to be, exactly compatible
with either of the spec's TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE or TIMESTAMP WITHOUT
TIME ZONE.  The people who have worked on the code have zero interest
in breakin^H^H^H^H^H^Hchanging it to match either of those.  At some
point someone might add additional datatypes that meet the spec
behavior; but it doesn't seem like a high priority to me.  I have not
seen very many, if any, convincing examples of applications where the
spec datatypes are better than what we have.

There is an ongoing disagreement as to whether format_type should
display "timestamp" as "timestamp with time zone" or just "timestamp".
I happen to fall in the second camp, so I won't attempt to explain to
you why the first camp thinks that way is right ...

            regards, tom lane