to_timestamp alternatives - Mailing list pgsql-general

From gkhan
Subject to_timestamp alternatives
Date
Re: to_timestamp alternatives  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Hi. I have a practical need to convert some badly-formatted date/times into
'timestamp without time zone' data types.  Like other scientists, I try to
avoid timezone problems by sticking to UTC and using the 'timestamp without
time zone' data type whenever possible.

In this case, I used the to_timestamp() function as follows:
SELECT to_timestamp('09.03.2014'||' '||lpad('3:00:00',8,'0'),'DD.MM.YYYY
HH24:MI:SS')

...but I discovered that the command above gives me the same result one hour
earlier:
SELECT to_timestamp('09.03.2014'||' '||lpad('2:00:00',8,'0'),'DD.MM.YYYY
HH24:MI:SS').

That's because to_timestamp was silently converting into my local time zone
(UTC -7), even though I was putting the result into a 'timestamp without
time zone' variable.  Like commenters on the thread "to_timestamp() and
timestamp without time zone", I consider the silent conversion to be bad
behavior, or at least I wish that the documentation warned the user more
clearly, and I would greatly prefer a function that just dealt in UTC.

In the recent thread "BUG #12739: to_timestamp function conver string to
time incorrectly", tom lane suggests avoiding to_timestamp().  However, I
don't see an easy way to get around it in my case.  Can anyone suggest a
good alternative?  Please note that I want to avoid relying on global
variables such as 'SET TIMEZONE = ...' if possible, since those just
introduce more potential for confusion, IMHO.

Thanks!