grant connect on database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From spur230
Subject grant connect on database
Date
List pgsql-general
I am using Postgres 9.4.  I created a login role and gave  select to all
tables to a schema as follows:

create role fix;
create role dcv login password 'mypassword' in role fix;
grant select on all tables on schema xzy to dcv';

I  was able to   connect to the database without giving 'grant connect on
database db1 to dcv'

My question is when do I have to explicitly  give connect grant? How did
user dcv  connect to database without the  connect  privilege?

Thanks