Are there any major benefits to using point and not real data type - Mailing list pgsql-general

From romeo407
Subject Are there any major benefits to using point and not real data type
Date
List pgsql-general
I am using postgres 9.4 and am new to this but I have 2 columns right now
latitudes & longitudes. I have them saved as a real column so they take up 4
bits each 8 altogether. I see that point is used for latitudes and
longitudes but it is a whopping 16 bits are there any benefits (Performance)
of using point over real datatype for coordinates? I plan on using indexes
on the column and do receive a lot of inserts .