Re: Re: [BUGS] Re: BUG #9555: pg_dump for tables with inheritance recreates the table with the wrong order of columns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: [BUGS] Re: BUG #9555: pg_dump for tables with inheritance recreates the table with the wrong order of columns
Date
In response to Re: [BUGS] Re: BUG #9555: pg_dump for tables with inheritance recreates the table with the wrong order of columns  (David G Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
David G Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> writes:
> Would it be proper to issue an additional top-level warning with the column
> moved notification?  Thus there would be NOTICE, NOTICE, WARNING in the
> above example?  Or, more generically, "columns reordered to match inherited
> column order" to avoid multiple warnings if more than one column is moved.

That's a good point: if this message fires at all, it will probably fire
more than once; do we want that?  If we do it as you suggest here, we'll
lose the information as to exactly which columns got relocated, which
perhaps is bad, or maybe it doesn't matter.  Also, I don't remember the
exact code structure in that area, but it might be a bit painful to
arrange that we get only one such warning even when inheriting from
multiple parents.

If we do want the specific moved columns to be identified, I'd still go
with errdetail on the NOTICE rather than two separate messages.  I think
calling it a WARNING is a bit extreme anyway.