moving to PostgreSQL from MS-SQL and from Oracle, looking for feature comparison information - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Yuri Budilov
Subject moving to PostgreSQL from MS-SQL and from Oracle, looking for feature comparison information
Date
Re: moving to PostgreSQL from MS-SQL and from Oracle, looking for feature comparison information  (Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at>)
List pgsql-general

Hello Everyone

My employer is evaluating PostgreSQL as a possible replacement for Oracle 11g R2 and MS-SQL 2008 R2 for some systems.
I am completely new to PostgreSQL but experienced in MS-SQL and also in Oracle 11g R2.
We need to establish what PostgreSQL is good at and not so good at - so we can decide where to use it. The OS will be 64-bit Linux (probably Red Hat Linux or Oracle Linux).

Are there any documents comparing these products in terms of features?
That would save me asking a lot of questions and save me weeks or months of reading of PostgreSQL manuals.

In the meantime, I have scanned the manual for PostgreSQL 9.4 and there are a few things I was not able to find in the manual, my apologies if I missed it:

1. does PostgreSQL have parallel query capability like MS-SQL 2008+ and Oracle 11g+ ? Or does a single query only run on 1 CPU?
2. does PostgreSQL have ability to apply query optimizer hints to individual queries - such as use a particular index, join type, join order, plan guides, etc ?
3. does PostgreSQL have Column-Store capability?
4. does PostgreSQL have anything resembling Microsoft SQL Server Profiler Trace or Extended Events ?
5. does PostgreSQL have a database backup capability such that not a single transaction is lost in case of hardware failure? Some of our target databases are several TeraBytes in size with several hundred concurrent connections and transactions are financial in their nature. So we need extremely robust backup/restore capability, 100% on-line.
6. does PostgreSQL support NUMA on Intel based X64 servers and does it support Hyper-Threading ?
7. does PostgreSQL support in-memory store (similar to Oracle 12c in-memory and SQL Server 2014 in-memory OLTP) ?
8. does PostgreSQL have temporary tables support?

Many thanks
Yuri Budilov
Melbourne
Australia