Re: BUG #13630: initdb - libreadline.so.6 symbol BC error - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #13630: initdb - libreadline.so.6 symbol BC error
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Bruce Silveria <bruce@sum-it.com> writes:
> Thanks for the quick response.

> Here's a bit more info (just to fill in some of the details):

> OS: Solaris 10 i386 u10 "clean install" in a Vmware ESXi enviroment
> Installed Python 2.7.10 and its dependencies in /usr/local. Packages from
> unixpackages.com
> This included readline-6.3
> Downloaded postgresql-9.4.4-S10.i386-32.tar.bz2
> Initially libreadline.so.6 was not found by the initdb command so I set
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> Then I got the BC symbol error.
> I had installed prior versions of postgresql successfully so after a bit of
> trail and error (mostly error) I worked back to 9.4.1 which worked.
> I also decided to try postgresql-9.5alpha2-S10.i386-32.tar.bz2 which I was
> able to install and run successfully.

Huh.  That's even odder, because if we did break it in 9.4.2, it would
surely have been from a patch that also went into the 9.5 branch.  The
lack of a problem in 9.5alpha2 says that this probably doesn't correlate
with anything we did to the Postgres sources.

But I'd supposed that you were building Postgres from source, and what
this description sounds like is that you were installing executables built
by someone else.  In that case, the most likely explanation is some shift
in their build process.  You should ask the packager about it.

            regards, tom lane