Re: C partition management - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From David G Johnston
Subject Re: C partition management
Date
List pgsql-novice
mkohls wrote
> I am brand new to Progresql.  I have installed it along with an upgrade to
> Mirth application, to replace SQL.
> I have installed version 9.3 to the c drive partition.  Mirth has been
> running well with Progresql for 1 month.  Today in evaluating Progresql, I
> noticed it is using a lot of the c drive partition and growing.  Mainly
> C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.3\data\base\16393 which has grown to 23 GB.
> It contains no folders, just files, and some are appended with .1, .2, .3,
> .4, .5, with .6 being the maximum.  It also contains some _fsm and _vm
> files.  I have read online about vacuum, but it is not clear to me if this
> will help with my issue.  What is the best way to manage this file so I do
> not use up all my resource?

Those are your data files and indexes - broken upon into 1GB chunks - with
some additional meta-data files.

I assume you are actually storing data into this database - in which case
the size of the database will grow as you continue do that.

Without a description of what this "Mirth" is - or more generally an idea of
how the database is being used - it will be impossible to diagnose whether
this is normal or abnormal behavior and suggest options to reduce the amount
of data stored.

If you get really out-of-whack VACUUM FULL can reclaim free-space from the
system - the normal VACUUM will typically not be useful for this task.
Other options exist but until you know cause doing anything is likely to be
wasted effort.

David J.