Re: PHP's pg_connect() and non-standard location of the socket (was: REPOST: redefining location of the socket file /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PHP's pg_connect() and non-standard location of the socket (was: REPOST: redefining location of the socket file /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432)
Date
In response to PHP's pg_connect() and non-standard location of the socket (was: REPOST: redefining location of the socket file /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432)  (Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>)
Responses Re: PHP's pg_connect() and non-standard location of the socket (was: REPOST: redefining location of the socket file /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432)  (Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>)
List pgsql-general
Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:
>> They're not, unless you tell them, which is why runtime setting of the
>> parameter isn't all that useful IMHO.  But some people wanted it, so
>> there it is.

> Hmm...  How would I tell that to `psql'?  Via "-v" parameter?

IIRC, a hostname parameter that starts with '/' is now interpreted as
a socket path.  So you'd do psql -h /path/to/something, or set PGHOST,
to inform the client about a nonstandard socket location.

$ psql -h /nowhere -p 7654
psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: No such file or directory
        Is the postmaster running locally
        and accepting connections on Unix socket '/nowhere/.s.PGSQL.7654'?

            regards, tom lane