Re: how to find the order of joins from Explain command XML plan output in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G Johnston
Subject Re: how to find the order of joins from Explain command XML plan output in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
csrajmohan wrote
> "EXPLAIN (format XML) " command in PostgreSQL9.3.4 gives the plan chosen
> by
> the optimizer in XML format. In my program, I have to extract certain data
> about optimizer plan from this XML output. I am using *LibXML2* library
> for
> parsing the XML. I had successfully extracted information about which
> relations are involved and what joins are used by parsing the XML. But
> I am *unable
> to extract the* *order of joining the relations from the XML output*. I
> conceptually understood that the reverse level order traversal of binary
> tree representation of the XML plan will give correct ordering of joins
> applied. But I could not figure out how do I get that from the XML? Does
> libXML2 support anything of this sort? If not how should I proceed to
> tackle this?

So, since nothing better has been forthcoming in your other two posts on
this topic I'll just say that likely you will have much better luck using
SAX-based processing as opposed to DOM-based processing.  I seriously doubt
native/core PostgreSQL facilities will allow you to do what you desire.

As you said, hierarchy and physical output order determines the "order of
joining" within the planner so you have to capture and track such relational
information during your processing - which is made much easier if you simply
traverse the output node-by-node exactly as a SAX based parser does.

Though pgAdminIII has a visual query display that you might look at for
inspiration.

David J.