Re: [HACKERS] please review source(SQLServer compatible)‏ - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: [HACKERS] please review source(SQLServer compatible)‏
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Vik Fearing <vik.fearing@dalibo.com> wrote:
> On 06/23/2014 04:51 PM, rohtodeveloper wrote:
>> 1.SQL statement support
>>   INSERT statement without INTO keyword
>>   DELETE statement without FROM keywork
>
> Why would we want this?

I'm pretty sure that the only argument for it is to ease migration
of software from other DBMS products which allow that non-standard
syntax for people who have chosen to use the non-standard form of
the statement instead of the standard syntax (which is also
available in all cases that I know of).

If the SQL standard were static, I would actually lean toward
allowing it, to make it easier for people to switch to PostgreSQL.
The biggest down side I see is the possibility that some future
version of the standard might implement some new syntax which is
more difficult to implement if we need to also support this
non-standard variation.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com