Re: [HACKERS] Re: [HACKERS] please review source(SQLServer compatible)‏ - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: [HACKERS] please review source(SQLServer compatible)‏
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Vik Fearing <vik.fearing@dalibo.com> wrote:
> On 06/23/2014 04:51 PM, rohtodeveloper wrote:
>> 1.SQL statement support
>>   INSERT statement without INTO keyword
>>   DELETE statement without FROM keywork
>
> Why would we want this?

I'm pretty sure that the only argument for it is to ease migration
of software from other DBMS products which allow that non-standard
syntax for people who have chosen to use the non-standard form of
the statement instead of the standard syntax (which is also
available in all cases that I know of).

There is a fork of PostgreSQL  http://www.tpostgres.org/se/ what can do it better this task. We doesn't support a special syntax for Oracle more, for DB2 and I don't see any reason, why we should to do for T-SQL.

More - usually this is most simple part in migration from Sybase family to PostgreSQL - there is totally different concept of stored procedures, temp tables, and other so there is not possible simple migration without relative hard changes in PostgreSQL parser.

If the SQL standard were static, I would actually lean toward
allowing it, to make it easier for people to switch to PostgreSQL.
The biggest down side I see is the possibility that some future
version of the standard might implement some new syntax which is
more difficult to implement if we need to also support this
non-standard variation.

yes.

Regards

Pavel