Re: tests for client programs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: tests for client programs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2014-06-05 at 21:57 -0400, Noah Misch wrote:
> I recommend "TMPDIR => 1" instead of setting DIR.

I originally decided against doing that, because

1) I don't know if all systems would have enough space in their regular
temporary directory for the kinds of things we put there.  Using the
build directory seems safer.

2) One "debugging" method is to set CLEANUP to false and then manually
inspect the data directory left behind.  (In the future, this might be
exposed via a command-line option.)  This would become more cumbersome
and error-prone if we used TMPDIR.

>   This temporary directory is
> used for Unix sockets, so path length limitations will be a problem:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20140329172224.GA170273@tornado.leadboat.com

That, however, is a good argument for doing it the other way.  Maybe we
need two temporary directories.