Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 3/25/22 08:00, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 6:59 AM Tomas Vondra
> <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Pushed, after going through the patch once more, addressed the remaining
>> FIXMEs, corrected a couple places in the docs and comments, etc. Minor
>> tweaks, nothing important.
>>

> The commit updates tab-completion for ALTER PUBLICATION but seems not
> to update for CREATE PUBLICATION. I've attached a patch for that.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure the patch did that, but it likely got lost in
one of the rebases due to a conflict. Too bad we don't have tests for
tab-complete. Will fix.

> Also, the commit add a new pgoutput option "sequences":
>
> +                else if (strcmp(defel->defname, "sequences") == 0)
> +                {
> +                        if (sequences_option_given)
> +                                ereport(ERROR,
> +                                                (errcode(ERRCODE_SYNTAX_ERROR),
> +                                                 errmsg("conflicting
> or redundant options")));
> +                        sequences_option_given = true;
> +
> +                        data->sequences = defGetBoolean(defel);
> +                }
>
> But as far as I read changes, there is no use of this option, and this
> code is not tested. Can we remove it or is it for upcoming changes?

pgoutput_sequence uses this

    if (!data->sequences)
        return;

This was inspired by what we do for logical messages, but maybe there's
an argument we don't need this, considering we have "sequence" action
and that a sequence has to be added to the publication. I don't think
there's any future patch relying on this (and it could add it back, if
needed).

regards

--
Tomas Vondra