Re: copy data into table error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: copy data into table error
Date
List pgsql-general
"Johnson, Shaunn" <SJohnson6@bcbsm.com> writes:
> But when I change the table structure from char(2) to char(3)
> the data gets imported.  I'm thinking I have some odd dos
> or control character (^M) in the column, but, when I use vi, I
> can't find it and I've stripped out all spaces.  What is
> the error talking about?  What is in the last column (text file)
> that PostgreSQL is seeing that I (or, vi) can not?

Are you sure the file is not being saved with Windows-style newlines
(^M^J)?  COPY only likes Unix-style newlines (^J) --- it will see the
^M as a data character.  (This behavior will likely change for 7.4
but that's how current releases behave.)

            regards, tom lane