Re: 7.3RC2 install woes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 7.3RC2 install woes
Date
List pgsql-general
Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc@mega-bucks.co.jp> writes:
> I did an initdb and then tried to start the postmast but got the
> following erro when trying to start the postmaster:

> Failed to initialize lc_messages to ''
> FATAL:  invalid value for option 'LC_MESSAGES': 'en_US.ja_JP.eucJP'

> Seems postgres doesn't like me setting the encoding to EUC_JP?

Not Postgres: your platform isn't happy with that setting of
LC_MESSAGES.  (This is not the first report we've seen of platforms
that reject a locale code for LC_MESSAGES that they support for other
LC_ settings :-()

You could fix this by editing the setting of lc_messages in
postgresql.conf to be something that your system will accept.

            regards, tom lane