Re: BUG #8721: pg_wrapper unaware of configuration includes - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David Johnston
Subject Re: BUG #8721: pg_wrapper unaware of configuration includes
Date
List pgsql-bugs
jodynickel wrote

> Bug reference:      8721
> Logged by:          Jody Nickel
> Email address:

> jodynickel@

> PostgreSQL version: 9.3.2
> Operating system:   Kubuntu 13.04
>
> I installed postgres 9.3 on a machine where 9.1 was installed. I
> dumped/loaded the 9.1 databases into 9.3. I then stopped and uninstalled
> 9.1.
>

> When I installed, since there was already a postgres installed, the port
> was
> assigned to 5433.
>

> I then used a secondary configuration file to hold my configuration
> changes
> for postgres (shared memory etc) and used the include statement in
> postgresql.conf. One of the lines in that secondary file was port = 5432.
>

> I then restarted postgres to put the changes into effect.
>

> When I started psql, it gave an error that it couldn't connect to port
> 5433.
>

> I think it was reading postgresql.conf, and ignoring the included files
> that
> had changed the port number.
>

> This is a very minor bug, and was easily worked around by changing the
> port
> configuration in the postgresql.conf file.

This is not a PostgreSQL bug, nor is it likely a distro bug.  Most likely
because you are making changes to default configurations you have to learn
where those defaults are stored for pg_wrapper and make the appropriate
change there.  I doubt it reads PostgreSQL.conf but instead stores 5433
somewhere upon install and you need to change that.

Google and "man" are your friends.

David J.