Format of Pioint datatype.... lat/long or long/lat?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From peterlen
Subject Format of Pioint datatype.... lat/long or long/lat??
Date
Re: Format of Pioint datatype.... lat/long or long/lat??  (John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>)
List pgsql-general
PostgreSQL has a geometric data type of "point".  The format is listed as (x,
y) but I am not sure if the X is to represent latitude or longitude.  I have
seen different systems that us X for either.  Typically, coordinates should
be read as lat/long but I have seen the opposite as well.  An example in the
help docs listed a point coordinate as x= longitude and y=latitude.  Can
someone clarify what the postgres standard is?  What this will come down to
is how built-in geospatial functions will interpret the point value.

Thanks - Peter