Re: Concat truncates at 257 characters - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Concat truncates at 257 characters
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Patrick Lademan wrote
> What is difference between pgadmin and psql that would cause one to
> truncate?
> On Nov 25, 2013 6:18 PM, "John R Pierce" <

> pierce@

> > wrote:
>
>> On 11/25/2013 3:09 PM, Patrick Lademan wrote:
>>
>>> The following simple examples all truncate at 257 characters and add a
>>> trailing " (...)".
>>>
>>> select rpad('', 200, 'A') || rpad('', 200, 'B');
>>>

>> hmmm?
>>
>> $ psql scratch
>> scratch=# select rpad('', 200, 'A') || rpad('', 200, 'B');
>>
>> ?column?

>> ------
>>  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>> AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>> AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>> AAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
>> BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
>> BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
>> BBBBB
>> (1 row)
>>

>> not here.

What usage pattern, specifically, are you implementing (not that it will
mean much to me personally since my use of both pgAdmin and psql is
minimal)?

pgAdmin's design premise is that the output it generates will be consumed by
a human during routine administrative tasks.  psql provides that level of
interaction plus the ability to configure its output to be processed
consistently by other software.

I was actually somewhat surprised that you could even use pgAdmin given the
level of automation you describe but maybe I assumed too much or pgAdmin can
do more than I imagined - though really psql was designed to meet your
automation needs pgAdmin mostly is not even if it has some conveniences.

That said there should be (ideally, not sure in reality) some way to disable
that behavior and force pgAdmin to output full text contents (w/o
human-friendly truncation).

David J.