Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade ?deficiency - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade ?deficiency
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 01:55:10PM -0800, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>
>> It does nothing about pg_upgrade, which is sort of a separate
>> issue.  My inclination is that connections to the new cluster
>> should set this and connections to the old should not.
>
> It is going to be tricky to conditionally set/reset an
> environment variable for default_transaction_read_only for
> old/new clusters.

Why?  If you know you have connected to the new cluster, set it to
off; if you know you have connected to the old cluster, don't touch
it.

> We never write to the old cluster, so I am not sure
> setting/resetting default_transaction_read_only is needed.

I'm sure it isn't.  That's why I said that connections to the old
cluster should not set it -- by which I meant they should not do
anything with it.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com