why semicolon after begin is not allowed in postgresql? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From AK
Subject why semicolon after begin is not allowed in postgresql?
Date
Re: why semicolon after begin is not allowed in postgresql?  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com>)
Re: why semicolon after begin is not allowed in postgresql?  (Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com>)
Re: why semicolon after begin is not allowed in postgresql?  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
I am reading the following in the documentation: "Tip: A common mistake is to
write a semicolon immediately after BEGIN. This is incorrect and will result
in a syntax error."

So, "common mistake" means semicolons after BEGIN seem consistent to many
people - it seems consistent to me as well. If PostgreSql allowed them, we
would have one less rule to memorize, shorter documentation, less mistakes
and so on. In other words, without this limitation PostgreSql would be
slightly more useful, right?

What am I missing? Why do we need this rule? How is it making PostgreSql
better?