Re: Auto-tuning work_mem and maintenance_work_mem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Auto-tuning work_mem and maintenance_work_mem
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> I actually had the thought that it might be something we'd integrate
> *into* initdb.  So you'd do initdb --system-memory 8GB or something
> like that and it would do the rest.  That'd be slick, at least IMHO.

How would you handle the case that the machine (whether physical or
a VM) later gets more RAM?  That's certainly not unheard of with
physical servers, and with VMs I'm not sure that the database
server would necessarily go through a stop/start cycle for it.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com