Re: invalid frontend message type 136 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: invalid frontend message type 136
Date
List pgsql-general
Steve Crawford wrote
> Sorry, I should have included that. The error occurred when an older
> client running 8.3.7 (I know, ferreting and finishing upgrades on
> clients with old libraries is in progress) on CentOS 5.3 (32-bit). Of
> all the machines connecting to the server, this one pretty lightly
> loaded and typically creates a new connection to the server somewhat
> over 10,000 times/week. This is the first instance of the error.
>
> These machines/connections are buried behind firewalls in an automated
> system and this particular connection is password-less.
>
> The server is PostgreSQL 9.1.9 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by
> gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) 4.6.3, 64-bit.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve
>

> On 09/05/2013 12:04 PM, David Johnston wrote:
>> It would help to at least know against which version of the database you
>> are
>> trying to connect and also what client (with version) you are using.  Any
>> other connection-related information (password based; ident; etc...)
>> would
>> be helpful as well.
>>
>> David J.

Which client (not just the version):

psql; jdbc; .net; libpq

I am not surprised that an old client talking to a new server would cause a
protocol error to be issued.

I'm doubtful you will get much help on the mailing lists for something like
this unless you are much more detailed in describing your environment and
usage - at the least I am unable to provide much further help myself.
On-list trouble shooting is difficult and given the version of the (unnamed)
software involved likely few people will want to try.

If you cannot upgrade the client driver to match the server you should at
least try and enumerate what kinds of things you have changed and try and
narrow down whether this is a client, server, or machine specific issue.

Searching the source code for where this error is thrown (likely server but
maybe client) would be a good start.  Someone familiar with the codebase may
be able to handle that particular request though I am not currently setup to
do so.

HTH

David J.