Re: COPY TO and VACUUM - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: COPY TO and VACUUM
Date
List pgsql-performance
Roberto Grandi <roberto.grandi@trovaprezzi.it> wrote:

> I'm running Postgres 8.4 on Ubuntu 10.4 Linux server (64bit)
> I have a big table tath contains product information: during the
> day we perform a process that import new product continously with
> statemtn COPY TO .. from files to this table.
>
> As result the table disk space is growing fast, it seems that
> postgres is not able to free space for old rows.

COPY TO would not free any space.  Is there some other activity you
haven't yet mentioned?

> Is it possible to run a specific autovacuum acivity or say to
> postgres "every time I delete a row, delete it immedialty and
> don't take care of other transactions" ?

You can configure autovacuum to be more aggressive, or you could
run VACUUM statements.

> Do you have any suggestion for me?

8.4 is getting pretty old; there have been a lot of autovacuum
improvements in recent years.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com