Re: making update/delete of inheritance trees scale better - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: making update/delete of inheritance trees scale better
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> As to why it causes us pain, I don't have a full picture of that.
> Target list construction is one problem: we build all these target
> lists for intermediate notes during planning and they're long enough
> -- if the user has a bunch of columns -- and planning is cheap enough
> for some queries that the sheer time to construct the list shows up
> noticeably in profiles.

Well, the tlist data structure is just about completely separate from
the TupleTableSlot mechanisms.  I'm more prepared to believe that
we could improve on the former, though I don't have any immediate
ideas about how.