Re: DTrace probes broken in HEAD on Solaris? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: DTrace probes broken in HEAD on Solaris?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:31 PM, Robert Lor <Robert.Lor@sun.com> wrote:
>> I think the is-enabled test will address the issues you encountered. I see a
>> few alternative to fixing this:

> Another option is to impose a policy that all arguments to probes must
> be simple local variables -- no expressions.

IOW, if you need to trace on an expression, you have to calculate it
whether or not ENABLE_DTRACE is even defined?  This doesn't seem to
me that it solves anything.  The cases that are interesting are where a
probe needs a value that otherwise wouldn't be needed.